Saturday, October 11, 2008

This makes me angry.

I got this photo off of a cnn.com article about gas prices, which have fallen over 40% in the last month. FOURTY PERCENT?? Weird, I know I'm not a mathematical genius but a little over a month ago I was paying $4.15 per gallon of gas (which was still among the highest in the country) and now im paying $3.50 per gallon of gas.. somehow that dosn't equal 40% less, its actually about a dollar shy of being 40% less.

What is even more puzzling, is the fact that in most other places in the country the regular-cheapest gas is 87 octane, here in utah the regular is actually 85 octane which is EVEN CHEAPER, yet we still pay more!

I live 15 miles from one of many huge oil refineries here in Utah, a refinery owned by Flying J that somehow is able to transport gas to gas stations in New Mexico to be sold for $2.85 a gallon .. yet they can't transport it 15 miles for less than $3.50 a gallon.

It makes absolutely no sense.

2 comments:

Sawcutting Shogun said...

Check your state gasoline excise tax, it is probably higher than New Mexico's. Also 85 octane at your elevation is the same as 87 at mine (sea level), and so your standard 3 choices are 85, 87, and 91; as opposed to 87, 89, and 93. I realize none of this will make you feel better about the mugging you get at the pump everyday, but I feel obligated to share my knowledge acquired as a 5 year veteran gas pumper!

Sawcutting Shogun said...

Ps. Oil has dropped 40% from $150 per barrel to about $80.